Forum for Terris, a ConLang
March 28, 2024, 12:08:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Ideals

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideals  (Read 280 times)
LLR
Administrator
Contributor

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2016, 10:25:21 am »

Here you can post your suggestions for what you think we should try to accomplish.

My ideals:
-Simplified verb tenses (more compound tenses than total different tenses)
-Simple pronunciation (no more than 30 letters/sounds)
-Something that sounds nice conversationally (self-explanatory)

What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

Any questions? Feel free to PM me to ask, or post in the "About This Forum" section! Have fun! Smiley

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

3D X 31
Junior Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:02:04 am »

Could you use a language like Esperanto for a model? Do you want unique words or words borrowed from other languages?
Report Spam   Logged
LLR
Administrator
Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 11:10:14 am »

Could you use a language like Esperanto for a model? Do you want unique words or words borrowed from other languages?

I'm not a fan of esperanto since it's unnatural-sounding, but in terms of a model just in terms of creation, sure. Borrowed words are fine, but the more original we are, the more fun we have. Some words, especially for technology, do have to be loanwords (like they are in most languages), and others may be unintentionally
Report Spam   Logged

Any questions? Feel free to PM me to ask, or post in the "About This Forum" section! Have fun! Smiley
TTT

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:17:36 am »

I'm not a fan of esperanto since it's unnatural-sounding, but in terms of a model just in terms of creation, sure. Borrowed words are fine, but the more original we are, the more fun we have. Some words, especially for technology, do have to be loanwords (like they are in most languages), and others may be unintentionally
What is meant, exactly, by "model just in terms of creation?"
Report Spam   Logged
3D X 31
Junior Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 11:20:23 am »

My point regarding Esperanto is that it has simple verb conjugations, no irregular verbs.
Report Spam   Logged
LLR
Administrator
Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 11:21:56 am »

What is meant, exactly, by "model just in terms of creation?"

Model in terms of the order we do things, I guess?

My point regarding Esperanto is that it has simple verb conjugations, no irregular verbs.

Hmm, I do like that...

Although I find irregular verbs give some character - I suppose the most, most important ones could be irregular and all the others not so? Not sure
Report Spam   Logged

3D X 31
Junior Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 12:40:46 pm »

We could have irregular verbs. Like the verb "to be". But the fewer the better, many irregular verbs would be more verb forms to learn and it may be too tedious to learn them all. If there is a lot a vocabulary to learn, making the rest of the language as simple as possible could be a good goal. Many languages are difficult to learn. For example, learning a whole new alphabet. Confusing grammar and idioms. Many dialects, complicated verbs etc.
Word order is another question, red apple or apple red? Some languages the verb can go anywhere. In Japanese the verb comes at the end of the sentence. Anway, I like the idea of keeping the alphabet simple and not having letters have too many sounds; English spelling is something to avoid.

Like some languages we could have two different verbs that English translates "to be". Also, some languages have two words for "that" as in that chair where you are vs that chair not near you.
Report Spam   Logged
LLR
Administrator
Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 01:03:33 pm »

We could have irregular verbs. Like the verb "to be". But the fewer the better, many irregular verbs would be more verb forms to learn and it may be too tedious to learn them all. If there is a lot a vocabulary to learn, making the rest of the language as simple as possible could be a good goal. Many languages are difficult to learn. For example, learning a whole new alphabet. Confusing grammar and idioms. Many dialects, complicated verbs etc.
Word order is another question, red apple or apple red? Some languages the verb can go anywhere. In Japanese the verb comes at the end of the sentence. Anway, I like the idea of keeping the alphabet simple and not having letters have too many sounds; English spelling is something to avoid.

Like some languages we could have two different verbs that English translates "to be". Also, some languages have two words for "that" as in that chair where you are vs that chair not near you.

I like the idea of [ADJECTIVE]-[NOUN]-[VERB] as a basic sentence structure. I like the two "that"s

And yes, keeping pronunciation simple of course
Report Spam   Logged

L.D. Smith

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 05:28:07 pm »

Are we gonna split infinitives here?

Report Spam   Logged
3D X 31
Junior Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 06:46:51 pm »

To boldly split infinitives is a highly controversial grammatical question. I am not sure if it will be an issue, if Terris has infinitives that are one word.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:49:42 pm by 3D X 31 » Report Spam   Logged
LLR
Administrator
Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 07:00:58 pm »

To boldly split infinitives is a highly controversial grammatical question. I am not sure if it will be an issue, if Terris has infinitives that are one word.

Ideally, yes, they will be one word
Report Spam   Logged

evergreen
Junior Contributor

shrill sjw harpy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 07:39:08 pm »

doesn't mean you can't split them!  Grin

(that'd be called an infix, as opposed to a prefix/suffix. fun fact: the only infix in english is "fücking", as in "fan-fücking-tastic" or "un-fücking-believable")

e.: do we really have to have the profanity filter here too?
Report Spam   Logged
LLR
Administrator
Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 07:44:26 pm »

(that'd be called an infix, as opposed to a prefix/suffix. fun fact: the only infix in english is "fücking", as in "fan-fücking-tastic" or "un-fücking-believable")

I don't think I can get rid of the filter :/

Just comes as default, I guess...

Just put a BB code thing in between two of the letters and it'll come out fine
Report Spam   Logged

evergreen
Junior Contributor

shrill sjw harpy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 07:52:36 pm »

I don't think I can get rid of the filter :/

Just comes as default, I guess...

Just put a BB code thing in between two of the letters and it'll come out fine
good to know, i guess
Report Spam   Logged
Figueira
Junior Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 02:19:32 pm »

I guess infinitive splitting via infixes is indeed possible. E.g. Say that vebelraq means "to go" (with -raq being the infinitive suffix), and org means "boldly" then vebelorgraq means "to boldly go."

But that's kind of unusual and I don't especially like it to be honest.
Report Spam   Logged
LLR
Administrator
Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 05:58:10 am »

I guess infinitive splitting via infixes is indeed possible. E.g. Say that vebelraq means "to go" (with -raq being the infinitive suffix), and org means "boldly" then vebelorgraq means "to boldly go."

But that's kind of unusual and I don't especially like it to be honest.

Agreed. Infinitives are a simple enough thing to do entirely with suffixes. And this seems like a bit much.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum