Forum for Terris, a ConLang
April 17, 2024, 07:09:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Basic Pronunciation

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic Pronunciation  (Read 277 times)
Cranberry
Junior Contributor

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2016, 12:33:11 pm »

Phonological inventory looks fine to me, don't you think though that all three of /b v w/ might be a bit much? Very few languages other than English have all three, and if our language is spoken, I'd assume most dialects would simplify to two or even just one forms ( just /β/ and /w/ for example).

Secondly, for the romanisation, why not take "x" for the sh-sound and "c" (or "ch") for the ch-sound? X for sh is common in many natural languages (Catalan, some South American Indian languages...), while I have never seen c for sh, tbh.

I actually think the "C" as sh and "TC" as ch makes sense... I also like having a letter for the hard h sound. But I agree that dialects would prove one of b, v, and w unnecessary. Which do y'all want to cut?

Alright. With "hard h" you mean the IPA [ x ], right?

If it were up to me, I'd keep [ b ] as is, spelled /b/ obv, and have [v] and [w] as allophones (or even just [v] and a labialisation of the preceeding/suceeding sound), depending on the environment - idk, have [v] in consonantic and [w] in vocalic environments, so for example /arva/ as [arwa] and /arevta/ as [arevta*], or whatever you prefer.

*or ideally [arevda] or [arefta], since differences in voicing between stops and fricatives mostly sound weird and are quite hard to do, imo, and get simplified very often.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:18:56 pm by Cranberry » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum